The sun salutation
Ideal exercise for all asthmatics
To practice daily to maintain the effect of sessions
The sun salutation is a succession of postures in flexion / extension of the trunk (particularly the thoracic cage) with deep breathing that is particularly suggested for asthmatics.
It encourages an inspiration (an in-breath) while the chest is extended and an expiration (an out-breath) in flexion, which deeply mobilizes the ribs.
It helps maintain the flexibility and mobility acquired during the osteopathy session.
It maintains the upright posture.
The Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar)
The Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar), this famous succession of 12 movements putting in action and invigorating all the musculature, is really a complete exercise in itself that can serve as a warm-up for the postures or to be practiced alone in 3 to 10 minutes only.
This excellent exercise, consisting of 6 movements to repeat in reverse, provides significant benefits to the overall health because it acts on the entire body and really deserves your interest but especially that you do it daily or if you practice yoga that you introduce it into your sessions if you have not already done so.
Performed regularly and exclusively, Surya Namaskar is equivalent to a complete workout.
Although the Sun Salutation can be practiced at any time of the day, morning or evening (at sunrise and sunset) are nevertheless the most beneficial moments.
The number of Greetings to be executed is specific to each one, the main one is to make sure to complete both sides, right and left, correctly: you can start with one or two greetings then increase gradually, (according to the time you have) take breaks between each set, and ideally, give yourself a moment of relaxation after practice to allow the body to fully assimilate the benefits of the Sun Salutations.
If you have high blood pressure, the pace should be slower, the goal is to feel each movement to appropriate the posture and get a relaxation in the effort.
The postures placing the body in extension are practiced (and facilitated) by inspiratory times and the bending postures of the body are practiced (and facilitated) by expirations (alternately).
Slow down the pace or rest completely if your breathing becomes difficult or cuts.
Always breathe through the nose and not through the mouth: nasal breathing filters and warms the incoming air and calms your breathing, increasing the quality of your session and reducing the risk of hyperventilation.
Combine the 12 movements in a fluid rhythm synchronizing with the breath (inhale: extension / expire posture: bending posture) while remaining focused and conscious in each movement.
List of the many benefits that a regular sun salutation can bring
- Warms the body: it’s a great warm-up to stretch, tone and invigorate the whole body.
- It relaxes the spine and joints, providing strength, flexibility and physical relaxation.
- It improves the flexibility of the spine and limbs.
- It strengthens and tones all the muscles of the body and lubricates the joints.
Beneficial for joints, ligaments and the skeleton, Surya Namaskar improves posture and balance.
- The limbs become symmetrical, while the internal vital organs become more functional.
- Provides flexibility, softness and strength at once, and balances energy in the body, the left side and the right side. Thus, vital energy or Prana increases enormously.
Beneficial for the well-being of the digestive system.
- It increases the blood flow to the digestive tract and stimulates the intestinal action, making digestion more effective.
- The calm felt will in turn help you relax your digestive system, which will result in a more effective elimination.
- The forward positions will also increase the space in the abdomen and thus facilitate the release of gases.
Develop concentration, coordination, balance, strength and rooting.
- Recentre: this is the ideal exercise to deal with insomnia and sleep disorders.
- The practice soothes the mind and helps to find a deep sleep.
- Give vitality and strength.
- It also reduces the sensation of agitation and anxiety.
Regulates irregular menstrual cycles.
- Stimulates blood circulation
Other beneficial effects:
- Helps prevent hair graying, falling, and dandruff.
- Help with calorie loss and stay slim.
- The practice stretches the abdominal muscles, helps to lose excess fat in the belly and promotes a flat stomach.
- Has an anti-aging effect and makes the face radiant. It is a natural solution to prevent the appearance of wrinkles.
- As a rule, yoga is great for the skin and it can also help relieve people with stains and even acne.
Benefits for the body:
- Improves the musculature of the whole body without weighing it down or hypertrophying, tones the back, curves the body;
- Refreshes and saturates the epidermis by removing toxins from the skin, brightens the complexion and rejuvenates the skin with good irrigation;
- Modifies the appearance and the maintenance of the bust for the woman, opening up the chest which becomes firm and elastic by the reinforcement of the pectoral musculature;
- Prevents hair loss and reduces the tendency to graying;
- Helps erase fat pads, especially in the abdomen, hips, thighs and chin, reduces excess fat;
- Reduces the abnormal prominence of the Adam’s apple;
- Eliminates bad body odor by expelling toxins through natural emunctories (skin, lungs, intestines, kidneys);
- Give grace and ease to the movements by preparing well for the sport practice;
Benefits for internal organs and glands
- Tones and activates the digestive system, massages the viscera (liver, stomach, spleen, intestines, kidneys), eliminates constipation, avoids dyspepsia (difficult digestion, heartburn);
- Strengthens the abdominal strap, keeps the organs in place, eliminates blood stasis in the abdominal organs (slowing the circulation);
- Ventilates the lungs thoroughly, oxygenates the blood and detoxifies by the massive expulsion of CO2 and other harmful gases;
- Increases cardiac activity and blood circulation, fights high blood pressure, palpitations and warms extremities;
- Regulates the activity of the uterus and ovaries, avoids menstrual irregularities and pain, facilitates childbirth;
- Stimulates and normalizes the activity of the endocrine glands (especially the thyroid gland);
Tones the nervous system,
- Promotes sleep
- Improves memory
- Spread away worries, soothes anxiety;
Increases immune resistance to diseases
- Creates and maintains a young spirit ready to face life and to extract a maximum of joy;